"I believe in pink. I believe that laughing is the best calorie burner. I believe in kissing, kissing a lot. I believe in being strong when everything seems to be going wrong. I believe that happy girls are the prettiest girls. I believe that tomorrow is another day, and I believe in miracles." --Audrey Hepburn

lundi, novembre 19, 2007

Tomas Maier of Bottega Veneta

Hide and Chic

I just finished reading an interesting and refreshing interview with Tomas Maier, creative director of Bottega Veneta, that appeared in the New York Times Style Magazine on November 4th. For the head of an internationally recognized fashion house, Maier has a surprisingly down-to-earth perspective on the concept of luxury and how it relates to fashion. To give you an idea, here is a short excerpt from the article, but I really do suggest that you check it out for yourselves. He presents some interesting ideas that I think we could all afford to keep in mind, since it is all too easy to be swept up in the world of high fashion.

Used is good. A bag always looks best when a woman has carried it for years and it’s broken in. A jacket that you’ve had for a while is much more pleasant than when you just bought it, because it takes the shape of your body and has much more character.

And let me just say that this next line is an absolute gem. It goes so much deeper than the trite axiom "quality over quantity" and makes you really think about what can give you a sense of contentment.

I prefer to have very little, but it has to be exactly the right thing.

Aucun commentaire: